Posted August 1, 2014
We love our neighbors! Our community is using a private online social network called Nextdoor Pittsfield, where we share events, items for sale/free, safety concerns, ideas, and more. It’s an efficient way to reach our neighbors, has a smart phone app, and oh yes, it’s free.
Join Nextdoor to finally get to know your neighbor from down the road, organize a block party, share about a work party, share some of the abundance of your garden, do outreach for community forum on an important town issues, find a great plumber in a moment of need, ask for help keeping an eye out for your lost dog, find a new home for your old bike, organize a pick-up soccer game or music jam in the park, post minutes from your board or committee meetings, share about your upcoming yard sale, much more!
Sign-up today at pittsfieldnh.nextdoor.com
An online neighborhood forum is not to remove the importance of in person communication, but rather draws on the power of technology to build stronger and safer neighborhoods- inspiring each member to be a better neighbor. Other communities using Nextdoor have that if it’s easier to communicate with each other online, it leads to better communication offline.
Quickly, many of your neighbors are already using Nextdoor to build happier, safer places to call home. Nextdoor host’s websites for more than 18,000 neighborhoods nationally, allowing individual communities to build private pages open only to their residents and people closely connected to the town.
Nextdoor makes it safe to share online the kinds of things you'd be okay sharing with your neighbors in person. Here's a few ways how:
- Guidelines for neighborly behavior- to help keep the forum respectful and properly representative of our community spirit.
- Every neighbor has to verify their address.
- Every neighbor signs in with their real name. Just like in person. Anonymous posts aren’t allowed.
- Nextdoor knows that online privacy is necessary. They never share your info with advertisers. Information shared will never show up in Google or other search engines.
- Nextdoor never shares your personal information with third-party advertisers.
- Moderated by local community members. Any neighbor can flag a post, and forum moderators will review and either approve or remove it.
The recommendation to start an online neighborhood forum came from the community based research work of the Pittsfield Listens Action Committee, which explored how we can have more accessible and effective communication in Pittsfield, including between community and the schools. Read the Summary Report here to learn more about this and other key actions and solutions explored, as well as a more detailed look at the process used and the data that was gathered.
How can all of us make Pittsfield a great place for everyone to live, learn, work and play? Pittsfield Listens is a community engagement project of the Pittsfield Youth Workshop.